Hola!! D here.. hope you guys are having a great weekend so far.

Time for a Vegas recap! This was my first time in Vegas and it was a TAME trip. Can’t wait to go back for a true Vegas experience!


The weekend all started on Friday morning. Michelle and I stayed at my fiance’s house on Thursday night and he drove us to the airport bright and early! Check in was a breeze and we were so pumped for Vegas to finally be here — we signed up for this race MANY months ago!

Our plane boarded perfectly on time, but the flight was terrible. So much turbulence the entire time. Michelle hadn’t been on an airplane since 2008, which made this flight even worse for her… HORRIBLE! We couldn’t wait until we touched the ground. And 5 hours later:

Safely at the gate :). Landing in Vegas was amazing because you could see all of the gorgeous red mountains and I loved that we could see our hotel (Mandalay Bay) from the runway!

Also loved that slot machines greeted us the second we got off the plane. Michelle convinced me not to lose all of my money.. yet.

Gotta love big Vegas signs and fake palm trees in the airport 😛

We quickly got into a cab and headed for our hotel. We had a great room on the 14th floor.. my lucky number! Shelly and I were waiting for my friend Emily to get to Vegas from Tampa so we unpacked and grabbed some lunch at a Mexican place. No bueno. The chips were awesome but the veggie burrito gave me the worst stomach ache. Not good on 1/2 marathon weekend! We headed to the strip after that.

Vegas is great for people watching — so many interesting characters! But one of the cool things about our weekend was that pretty much everyone was either a runner or a cowboy!! There was a rodeo event the same weekend. I had never seen a cowboy in person before so I loved it.

Kinda blurry but that was a cowboy carrying a lasso!!

We walked from Mandalay to the Venetian to check out a little bit of the expo before it closed. It was pretty dead when we got there around 7:15 so we got our bibs (couldn’t get Emily’s though 😦 ) and checked out some merch.

Finally, Em landed!! The plan was to grab dinner with her and her dad who was there on business and then see the Cirque du Soleil show “O” in the Bellagio. We had a little miscommunication with the scheduling of the show so we had a HUGE time crunch. Luckily, Bellagio had a pretty good buffet so we got some eats there before seeing the amazing show!

I’ve always wanted to see a Cirque show and “O” was the perfect one for my first! The stage was a big pool and there were tons of cool effects with the water. I loved it!

By the end of the show, we were all exhausted so we took a cab back and passed out!


Although I would’ve LOVED to sleep in on Saturday, my body naturally woke me up around 8 so I decided to do a shake out run in the hotel’s gym. I guess I’m not that stealthy and I ended up waking the other girls up! So they joined me. The gym was PACKED! All 8 treadmills were taken — I guess that’s what happens when a running event is scheduled for the next day! Luckily, we didn’t have to wait long and I was able to get in a slow 2.5 mile run in. It felt awesome to run! This was the point where I really started thinking about my time goal (sub 2) and freaking out!!! Ugh.

The run left us all .. starving! So we headed to Denny’s (there are a million of them on the strip!). I had never been there before and it was not a good first experience. When we sat down, I noticed that the water glasses were teeny tiny so I asked the waitress for a big glass. Nope. Can’t do that. What about a pitcher? Nope. Not that either. She seemed distracted the whole time we were there so breakfast took forever AND I didn’t get the hydrate at all.

After that, more expo time for us and Emily. This time it was packed! We had fun checking out the Brooks and Moving Comfort gear. We all bought a cute shot glass:

And I also got a 13.1 magnet for my car finally!

On the way back from the expo, we picked up some $1 frozen margaritas despite it being fuh-reezing outside! Seriously.. the high was 51 and super windy — that’s worse than NJ! Chilled in the room for a bit and then got dinner at Red, White, and Blue in our hotel. I was nervous about my stomach for the next day so I stuck with salmon and potatoes. And TONS of water. The food was pretty good and I kind of geeked out when I noticed HRG. Decided NOT to be creepy and say hi. But I thought it was awesome to spot a blogger <3. Somehow, it was really late by the time dinner was over so we headed back to the room to hang out (and watch Hangover!) before bed.

Stay tuned for the big day :). I’ll try to post part 2 tomorrow.